These chewy M&m sugar cookies are thick bakery-style cookies made with simple ingredients. They have a great buttery flavor and are full of colorful, crunchy M&M’s.
The M&M sugar cookies are a perfect blend of soft sugar cookies with a hint of crunchy and sweet M&M candies. They have soft centers and slightly crispy edges and are the perfect sweet treats for any cookie lover.
It uses a really simple sugar cookie dough that’s easy and no-chill (based on these soft sprinkle sugar cookies) to fill the cookie jar in no time! The perfect cookie for the holiday season, Valentine’s Day, birthday parties, or just a regular weekday treat.
Find the ingredient amounts for these chewy m&m sugar cookies in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what you will need.
- Room temperature butter: This creates that delicious butter flavor in the sugar cookie dough. It can be salted or unsalted butter.
- Granulated sugar – gives the cookie slightly crisp edges
- A large egg
- Vanilla extract or paste: Use good quality vanilla, not imitation. I love vanilla paste for these.
- All-purpose Flour, salt, baking soda: The base, flavor enhancer, and leavening agent for the dough. You only need a tiny bit of baking soda, to keep the cookies thick but not puffy.
- M&Ms: Sweet, chocolatey bursts in every bite. You could use mini M&M’s or regular ones.
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Cream together the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.
Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Tip the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold them together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until nearly combined. There should still be flour streaks remaining.
Fold in the M&Ms. It will make a thick and slightly sticky dough.
Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop around 1.5 tablespoons of dough for each cookie ball.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed and only lightly browned at the edges and the middles are still a bit soft. Don’t overbake them if you want a soft cookie. While the cookies are still hot, you can press a few more m&ms candies on the tops of the cookies if you like.
Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Seasonal M&M Sugar Cookies: Use holiday M&M for Christmas, green M&M for St. Patrick’s Day, or red, white, and blue M&M for the 4th of July cookies. The options are endless!
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies: Substitute the chocolate chips with peanut butter M&M for a nutty twist.
- If you don’t have M&M candies, you can always replace them with chocolate chips, other colored chocolate pieces, or colorful sprinkles to maintain the vibrant look.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container. They can stay fresh for up to a week at room temperature.
If you want to prepare the cookies in advance, you can freeze the cookie dough balls, wrapped in plastic wrap or a freezer-bag for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, place them on a cookie tray and bake for 1-2 minutes.
Did you enjoy these delicious cookies? You might like these recipes too!
- Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies
- Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- Easter Mini Egg Cookies
- No Chill Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 113g (1/2 cup) butter, softened to room temperature
- 150g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 188g ( 1 1/2 cup*) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 170g (1 cup) M&Ms, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream softened butter and sugar in a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl until combined.
- Tip the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold them with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Fold in the M&Ms, making a thick and slightly sticky dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop around 1.5 tablespoons of dough for each cookie ball.
- Place them onto a prepared baking sheet and add additional M&M chocolate candies to each cookie.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until puffed and lightly browned at the edges and the middles are still soft. Don't overbake them if you want a soft cookie.
- While the cookies are still hot, you can press a few more M&M's on the tops of the cookies if you like.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
*The cup sizes given are for US cups. Note that these are smaller than metric cup sizes. For best results, use grams and a kitchen scale.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
This is an informational estimate only. I am not a certified Dietitian or Nutritionist