Thick and moist with rich flavor, this ginger banana bread is full of warming spices, bananas and molasses. Serve it fresh or toasted, spread with butter.
An easy banana bread recipe is always a hit, but sometimes a change to a classic is nice. This banana and ginger bread is a gingerbread banana bread combination.
It contains the mist sweetness of a classic banana bread, combined with the warming spiciness of an old fashioned gingerbread loaf.
The Gingerbread Banana Bread Ingredients
The ingredients in this simple banana bread recipe include the classic banana bread ingredients, plus a few spices and rich dark molasses. The ingredients are listed in the recipe card below but here is a run through of them with a few extra details.
- Bananas - This is an obvious must have in a banana gingerbread loaf. Extra-ripe bananas are best. They provide sweetness and flavor in the recipe as well as adding moisture to the bread. It needs one full cup of mashed bananas which works out to be about 2 large bananas.
- Eggs, Butter - The eggs provide the structure and melted butter adds flavor and a texture.
- Spices and Vanilla - Ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla give the warming gingerbread touch.
- Molasses - This gives the rich dark color to the gingerbread banana bread as well as adding moisture. It’s important to know the type of molasses you are using. Blackstrap molasses is the strongest in flavour as it has been boiled three times. This is the molasses used in this banana bread recipe and therefore only 2 tablespoons is needed.
- Flour, baking soda, salt - The structure and rising agents needed in the banana gingerbread loaf.
Ginger Banana Bread Method
Melt the butter and set it aside. In a large bowl, mash the bananas well, then stir in the melted butter. Add in the sugar, vanilla, egg and molasses and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt and baking soda until no clumps remain.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold them together until combined.
Spoon the batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes until cooked through. Remove the banana gingerbread loaf from the pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
The bread is best served fresh on the day it is made. On the following days, the ginger banana bread slices are best toasted.
Banana Bread Additions and Substitutions
Banana bread is a recipe that can easily be adapted to suit your tastes. Texture can be added with seeds and nuts, flavors can be changed with spices and fruits. Sugars and flours can be switched up too.
- Texture- Walnuts, pecans, or almonds can be chopped and added to the batter. In case of nut allergies, seeds can be added instead. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds give a great crunch in the moist bread.
- Spices, fruits, chocolate - This gingerbread banana bread is already full of spices, but these can be changed too. Cardamom and all-spice can be added, or orange zest too. Dark chocolate chips are a delicious addition too, especially when the bread is still warm and the chocolate has melted.
- Light brown sugar is used in this recipe but this can be substituted with white sugar, coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup.
- ½ the all-purpose flour in this recipe can be switched for wholemeal flour for a healthier touch.
Want more sweet bread recipes? Try this cinnamon glazed apple bread.
Have you made this? Tag me and let me know!
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 large ripe bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 100g (½ cup) light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 374 °F (180°C).
- Melt the butter and set it aside. In a large bowl, mash the bananas well, then stir in the melted butter. Add in the sugar, vanilla, egg and molasses and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt and baking soda until no clumps remain.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold them together until combined.
- Spoon the batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 45-50 minutes until cooked through. Remove the loaf from the pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
- The bread is best served fresh on the day it is made. On the following days, the slices are best served toasted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g